Position Title: Head Coach – Women's Volleyball Team (Athletics & Recreation)
Vacancy Status: Open
Compensation: Stipend commensurate with experience and departmental standards
Employment Definition: Contractual
Supervisor: Director, Athletics & Recreation
Position Start Date: As soon as possible
Trent athletes have competed in interuniversity competition for over 40 years. The 40+ coaches and 300 student-athletes are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in competition and in the classroom. Trent has produced many Academic All Canadian Athletes who have attained an average of 80% or higher while participating in sport.
Trent has 12 varsity high performance sport programs competing in the OUA – Women's and Men's Volleyball; Women and Men's Soccer; Women's and Men's Rugby; Women's and Men's Rowing; Women and Men's Curling; Women's Lacrosse; and competing in CUFLA – Men's Lacrosse.
The Women's Volleyball Varsity Head Coach, reporting to the Director of Athletics & Recreation, will join an athletics program that has a visionary Athlete Development Model, a leading edge Coach Development Model and develops all sport programs under the auspice of the Canadian Sport for Life's Long Term Athlete Development model.
This position is responsible for providing exemplary leadership of the women's volleyball program. This is established through the coaching, recruitment/retention and public relations duties required to form and lead a competitive and successful team, while promoting academic success for the student-athletes.
This position establishes and maintains the level of professional relationships that support exceptional collaboration with stakeholders including students, parents, faculty and the community. This is a high volume position that works under pressure in a fast-paced environment, multi-tasking to meet competing deadlines.
It is also a high profile position, and is very visible and influential in the University and regional athletic communities. Potential candidates must recognize the responsibility that comes with this role and ensure that their conduct reflects positively on Trent University, the Athletics & Recreation Department and the team as a whole.
- Coach a competitively successful program.
- Develop and execute a short and long term plan for recruitment and retention of skilled and academically qualified student-athletes to the men's volleyball program.
- Develop an annual program, plans and communicates this to the Athletics & Recreation Department.
- Plan and implement player training and evaluation methods that are current and individualized.
- Provide appropriate awareness and concern for student-athletes academic performance and provide direction for assistance when and where needed.
- Steward team financial fundraising accounts including the development of a five year budget plan and the management of team and related accounts, monitor expenditures and develop appropriate reporting tools. Ensure all processes align with, and adhere to Trent University's policies.
- Collaborate with the Director, Athletics & Recreation on the development of donor and sponsor engagement opportunities.
- Select, coordinate and manage staff or volunteers that support men's volleyball program.
- Support and act in accordance to the strategic direction and initiatives of Athletics & Recreation Department and Trent University.
- Monitor and administer facility and equipment needs for the program.
- Working with the Athletics & Recreation Department, ensure liability and risks associated with the men's volleyball program are managed effectively.
- Maintain high personal standards of behaviour and conduct so as to serve as a role model and mentor.
- Serve as a leader and valuable resource person within the profession and within the sport.
- Collaborate with other coaches and staff in support of the overall mission and strategic direction of Trent Athletics & Recreation Department.
1. Experience: Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in volleyball, preferably at the College, University, Junior or professional level.
- NCCP Certification Level 2 or equivalent experience preferred. Provincial and/or national coaching experience is a desirable asset.
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation;
- Ability to establish medium to long-term goals and vision;
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment;
- Superior ability to develop and maintain respectful, supportive and collaborative relationships with others whether as a peer or as a coach;
- Strong appreciation for understanding of, and sensitivity towards the needs of a diverse body of students and student-athletes;
- Demonstrated ability on multiple projects with competing demands to meet deadlines;
- Budget planning and management;
- Strong marketing, creative thinking and problem solving skills.
- The ability to mentor, motivate, and develop the potential of student-athletes in the context of competitive sport, while fostering positive work and learning environments will be critical.
Compensation and Benefits
The Trent Excalibur Varsity Program is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding coaching candidates. This position is compensated through a coach stipend in line with our compensation structure.
Closing Date for Applications: Thursday, August 16th, 2018; 4:00 p.m.
To Apply: The preferred method for submitting your cover letter and resume is by e-mail to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF). Please note your full name and the position title in the subject line of your e-mail (i.e. First and Last Name – Position Title). If you are unable to send your application by e-mail, you may mail/drop-off your application to: Trent Athletics & Recreation Department, 1600 West Bank Dr., Peterborough, Ontario K9J 7B8;
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
While Trent Athletics & Recreation Department appreciates all applications, only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.