Job Posting: Varsity Strength & Conditioning Coach
About the position:
Trent student-athletes have competed in interuniversity competition for over 30 years. The 40+ coaches and 320 athletes are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in competition and in the classroom. Trent has produced many Academic All Canadian Athletes who have attained an average of 80% or higher while participating in sport. Our programs offer 12-month comprehensive student-athlete development, which includes a focus on year-round athletic performance and conditioning.
The Varsity Strength & Conditioning Coach reports directly to the Athlete Development Coordinator and works in partnership with Head Coaches of the assigned teams. The position is responsible to Excalibur Varsity High Performance programs, including Men’s and Women’s teams in Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Rowing, Volleyball, and Curling.
- Provides strength and conditioning consultation and customized program development to Varsity coaches and athletes on an individual and team basis for above mentioned Varsity High-Performance sports
- Baseline testing, ongoing evaluation, and out of season testing to be conducted using current best practices
- Reports back to Head Coaches all aspects directly related to the team, including vision, goal setting, training methods, training times and attendance
- Available to athletes and coaches for further consultation and counselling, especially in the areas of conditioning, nutrition, fitness, and exercise
- Able to foster a strong environment of trust, dedication, communication, problem solving and pride with student athletes, coaches, and departmental staff
- Dedicated to aligning the vision of the Head Coach with the needs of the student athletes and best strength and conditioning practices
- Encourages athlete commitment and dedication to the expectations outlined by Head Coaches
- Will participate in and lead educational sessions targeted at varsity teams and athletes in collaboration with other staff members as part of the Department's overall orientation plan for student-athletes
- Support and act in accordance to the strategic direction and initiatives of Athletics & Recreation Department and Trent University.
- Monitor and administer facility and equipment needs for the program
- Maintain high personal standards of behavior and conduct so as to serve as a role model/mentor
- This position requires work in non-traditional hours, often for extended periods of time outside the course of a typical working day.
- Experience developing, implementing and administering fitness and strength programs in both a team and individual setting for recreational and high-performance athletes is required.
- The incumbent will have a great understanding of sport specific strength and conditioning programming, including positional and system knowledge.
- Understanding of and ability to relate to the post-secondary student-athlete experience is crucial.
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength And Conditioning Association considered a minimum requirement
- Certified kinesiologist, Standard First Aid, CPR-C, and AED are considered assets
Skills/Key Personal Attributes:
- The ability to mentor, motivate, and develop the potential of student-athletes in the context of high-performance sport, while fostering positive work and learning environments will be critical;
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation;
- Ability to inspire and motivate others, while working effectively within a team environment
- Ability to develop and maintain respectful, supportive and collaborative relationships with others
- Strong appreciation for, understanding of, and sensitivity towards the needs of a diverse body of university students and student-athletes
- Strong organizational abilities with ability to develop and revise training material
- Physical ability to complete the required duties
- Other duties as assigned by the Athlete Development Coordinator
- The successful candidate will be required to submit a Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check
Closing Date for Applications: August 4, 2017
Reports to: Athlete Development Coordinator
Term: August 15, 2017 – July 30, 2018 with the potential to extend
Deadline: August 2, 2017
Apply to: Alex Bridal, Athlete Development Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
The preferred method for submitting your cover letter and resume is by e-mail to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF). Please note your full name and the position title in the subject line of your e-mail (i.e. First and Last Name – Position Title). If you are unable to send your application by e-mail, you may mail/drop-off your application to: Trent Athletics & Recreation Department, 1600 West Bank Dr., Peterborough, Ontario K9J 7B8;
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
While Trent Athletics & Recreation Department appreciates all applications, only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.